While I really enjoy making a simple knitted dishcloth, apparently I find adapting that pattern into a large dish mat extremely boring. That, and knitting with cotton is really hard on my hands. So, I frogged it and decided to try a crocheted mat. Crocheting the same size mat, however, is much quicker, and the cotton doesn't bother me. I did recently read that using aluminum needles makes working with cotton easier, so I'm planning to try that. With the quick progress I've made on this mat in a little more than a week, I anticipate this will be done soon.
Last month I finally finished my scarf to go with my mittens, so I'll have a matching set for this winter.